COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

April 3, 2011

Album Review: THE STROKES – ANGLES

As I referenced following my first viewing of ‘The Strokes’ live at SXSW, I am not what you would consider one of the bands fraternity. I also continue to wonder where exactly they have been for the past several years…there is little explanation or attention given to this matter in the music press it seems. Having loosely followed the band for the past decade and more (with the bands beginning coinciding with my formative years at university) and holding songs such as ‘Someday’, ‘Last Nite’, ‘Reptilia’ and ‘Juicebox’ in high regard, it’s taken me a few listens, but ‘The Strokes’ latest effort can be considered ‘a grower’.

Kicking off with a more electronic/reggae Strokes vibe than one would perhaps anticipate, ‘Machu Picchu’ is a reasonable start to ‘Angles’. The song that follows is that classic Strokes sound that followers have come to know and love. ‘Under the Cover of Darkness’ is absolutely fantastic, that’s all I really have to say. Lead singer, Julian Casablancas is at home with this track…I can almost see his laid back stage demeanour whilst listening to this one…up there with the aforementioned favourites on ‘The Strokes’ play list. We then have something of a mid album lull. ‘Two Kinds of Happiness’ is more akin to ‘Queens’, ‘Freddie Mercury’ or ‘Generation X’s’, ‘Billy Idol’…and as much as I like both of those artists, this doesn’t work for ‘The Strokes’. ‘You’re so Right’ is bland and nothing much to write home about. ‘Taken for a Fool’ has clever lyrics and is a top tapping tune thanks to the quick "tsk, tsk tsk" drumbeat, but ‘Games’ reverts back to the empty and hollow variety…it’s like a karaoke singer having a go at ‘The Human Leagues’, ‘Don’t you want me?’.  ‘Call me back’ starts off and continues with Frank Sinatra’s ‘Girl from Ipanema’ guitar riff…see the previous Mercury, Idol reference…simply doesn’t work. 

Fortunately, the album kicks back in track with a thoroughly enjoyable, ‘Gratisfaction’. Call me a traditionalist, but this is simplistic, chilled and soulful…what we expect of ‘The Strokes’. That said I also enjoy the next track, ‘Metabolism’ which is a little more futuristic and electronic than most Strokes tunes. It wouldn’t be out of place on English rockers, ‘Muse’, ‘Origin of Symmetry’ album and that’s quite alright with me. The album closes with the decent (and no more than that), ‘Life is Simple in the Moonlight’.  

Four solid tunes out of the ten on the album can be considered in the satisfactory range. This one is certainly worth a listen and ultimately, despite the mystery, I feel happy that ‘The Strokes’ are back. It may not be all the right angles, but it’s in decent shape.  Rating 7/10


No comments:

Post a Comment