COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

May 4, 2011

Can't wait to 'Suck it and See'

I can't wait to 'Suck it and See'. The Arctic Monkeys fourth album is scheduled for release on the 6th of June and if the first two tracks that have been released are anything to go by, we are in for yet another treat from this Sheffield quartet. The Arctic Monkeys burst on to the UK music scene towards the end of 2005 with the release of debut single, 'I Bet You Look Good on the Dancefloor'. Following my first experience of their live credentials in Glasgow on January 27th 2006 when they played as part of the NME Carling Academy tour, I was sold. They have certainly changed their tune a little bit in each of their follow ups to debut album, 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' and this one shows no signs of straying from that path.

With sounds emanating from last album, Josh Homme inspired, 'Humbug' and the cheekiness and colloquial lyrical rhymes and references of 'Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not' and 'Favourite Worst Nightmare', this has the potential to be their best yet. It will have to go a long way to beat their debut album as far as I'm concerned and I doubt they will ever emulate the fervour that followed that release, but with a more international audience, who knows?


I plan to review the album in full upon its release as well as their impending New York gig at Central Park on the 24th of May and want to refrain from making this blog an 'Arctic Monkeys' love in, but I feel like it's one everyone should have on their radar. 

'Brick by Brick' is a pretty simplistic little tune that succeeds in reacquainting us with the Monkeys sound and Alex Turner's sultry and effective vocals. 'Don't Sit Down 'Cause I Moved Your Chair' sounds fantastic. Almost certainly an extension of some of the moody, dark sounds of, 'Humbug'. This track is in the 'My Propeller' and 'Crying Lightening' mold. Indeed the rhythms and reverberations can almost be mistaken for my current playlist toppers, 'The Black Angels'. If the rest of the album follows this on this vein, I will most certainly enjoy sucking it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment