COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

July 19, 2011

THE BLACK ANGELS – Mercury Lounge, NY – 18th July 2011


If you have read any of my blog at all, you will have come to realise that I am a big fan of this Austin band, 'The Black Angels'. Indeed, they formed a large part of the inspiration to start writing this blog. Having seen them play SXSW twice in two nights in Austin, this week I had the pleasure of seeing them play twice in two nights in NYC. More extraordinary in that both events were absolutely free. The first event was at the South Street Seaport where the band headlined the inaugural 4Knots Festival (full review here - http://scoaustin.blogspot.com/2011/07/black-angels-4knots-festival-south.html). As detailed, my vantage point in terms of visibility was amazing, but not so good in terms of sound. 

The second show was a 'secret' late night show at the Mercury Lounge. Despite it taking place on a school night and doors opening at 11.30pm, I had to go (Mrs. ScoAustin thought I had finally lost my mind). Upon attaining my wrist band and making my way inside, it was just under an hour before the band took the stage. Having reviewed the bands live act several times in the past few months, there is little more to add. Therefore I take the uncommon approach of beginning with the set list and going on to describe some of the highlights.
 
Set List:

Black Grease
Entrance Song
The Prodigal Sun
Young Men Dead
Deer-Ree-Shee
Mission District
You On The Run
Bloodhounds On My Trail
Better Off Alone
Haunting at 1300 McKinley
The Sniper
You in Color
Posphene Dream
Science Killer
Bad Vibrations
Snake In The Grass
Ronettes

 
From the moment that lead guitar, Christian Bland kicked in with his intro to, 'Black Grease', to the last beat of the drum on closer, 'Ronettes', it's fair to say I was transfixed. This venue to my mind is the best in NYC. It's simply a cool place to go and see music. With a comfortable bar leading to an intimate space in the back which holds a capacity of no more than 350, the sound in this music mecca is sublime. 


  
Clearly, Maas and his cronies are heavily inspired by, 'Velvet Underground', a song from whom gave these Austin rockers their name. 'The Black Angels' music is probably best described as mellow, trippy, garage rock/psychedelia. A bit of a mouthful, but that's how I perceive them. Some might say they are effectively a, 'Velvet Underground' tribute band, though I think that slightly unfair and that, 'The Black Angels' that I have seen and listen to frequently deserve plaudits on their own merits. Sets that I have seen share a wide range from across the bands three albums, of which I struggle to argue which is strongest. At a push, I'm going with their debut, 'Passover'.

The forth track on this set, 'Young Men Dead' sends chills down my spine every time with it's "run for the hills, pick up your feet and let's go" chorus expertly and quiveringly delivered by, Maas. A couple of tracks on with, 'Mission District', Ballie on drums and, Hunt on bass strike some dark vibes on this aggressive little track in which, Maas culminates with, "you only see one way".
 
Maas takes front and centre in songs like, 'Better Off Alone' and, 'Science Killer'. He is completely in his zone throughout the show, cap covering his eyes and at some points, almost his mouth. In the first of the two songs, he kicks of with a heartfelt cry of, "I feel so low", whilst in the latter, he shakes those maracas to fantastic effect while humming and hawing about "Feelings...hmmmmm". The mood of this band collectively works and results in some wonderful tunes encompassing blues, rock, grunge and psychedelia. 

Concluding with a chilled, yet drum and bass heavy, 'Ronettes', the band walk off the front of the stage (to the crowds delight and surprise), through the thoroughly satisfied masses and I assume in to their VIP lounge.


 
I simply can't say or get enough of, 'The Black Angels' right now. Despite this late show which spanned from 12.30am - 2am on a Tuesday morning resulting in a bitter toil for me at work later the same day, I would do it all again tomorrow given the chance. The impact of the tiredness got nowhere near the feeling of ecstasy and sheer delight at seeing this band once more in an epic NY venue. They are at the top of their game right now and their sound is right down my street. Rating 9.5/10 

No comments:

Post a Comment