COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

August 14, 2011

Initial Thoughts: Noel Gallgher's High Flying Birds



Unfortunately, I don't have time to compose a fully baked review today, so I am instead introducing and providing my inital thoughts on, Noel Gallagher's evolution in life without, Oasis. With younger brother, Liam already releasing his bands effort with, 'Beady Eye' who I have reviewed here - http://scoaustin.blogspot.com/2011/03/album-review-beady-eye-different-gear.html and given my approval, the focus is now on, Noel and his new band to showcase their skills. The first song from their upcoming album, 'The Dreams We Have As Children' (set for release on October 17th) is a week away, August 21st and is aptly named, 'The Death of You And Me'. From the few listens I have given the track it is typical of, Noel Gallagher with something of a 'Dig Out Your Soul' theme. It is very much of the same theme and sound as, 'Little By Little' from, 'Heathen Chemistry' which was the fifth of, Oasis' studio albums. My candid thoughts are that this is good, honest music from, Noel, but it's a little hollow. I expected him to take something of a new direction working on his own, but from, 'The Death Of You And Me', it does not appear so.





Gallagher has indicated that the band will begin touring a week after the release of the album - "We're going to go out on tour a week after the album is out. We're going to start off slow in small theatres (Dublin, Glasgow and London mentioned). If it's good enough to get bigger than that then it'll get bigger than that. I don't think there'll be a huge great big tour this year. I think this year it'll be a quick whizz around the world and try and do the major cities and then it will probably be a bigger tour next year."


I am certainly keen to hear more of Noel and his high flying birds and thoroughly look forward to future releases and particularly their album. There has been a mountain of press around, Noel of late and I was not a fan of the boxer like press conference when he announced the bands name and future plans. Noel Gallagher is heralded as a God in some circles of the UK music press and this kind of feather flaunting was, in my opinion, uncalled for.


To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment