COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

November 3, 2011

THE BLACK ANGELS - Music Hall of WIlliamsburg, BK, 29th October 2011





As a caveat, this review might be somewhat clouded as I opted to ‘go on the Gin’ for the evening. This is something of a rarity in modern times having become well versed on the outcome and trauma that follows the day after. I think I pretty much captured the setlist, but there may be a couple of gaps.


If you are familiar with this blog, you will be well aware that I am a huge fan of these Austinites, 'The Black Angels'. They were fundamental in my inspiration to begin writing this blog in the first place. Having seen them play SXSW twice in two nights back in March, I have since been addicted to playing their music in my ears on an almost daily basis. Subsequently, I have seen them several times since SXSW this year. Living in New York certainly has its benefits in terms of seeing good live music frequently.

On this occasion, I was accompanied by two of my hometown friends, Kevin and, Dave who are largely unfamiliar with the band and the bands music. It can sometimes be tricky seeing a band you have not listened to at any great length and I think this was the case for both of my guests at this gig. Another factor to their discontent was that, ‘The Black Angels’ tend to play loud…very loud (which I love), but I admit that it can diminish the vocals a little and result in a blurb of noise to untrained ears…perhaps it’s just as much a sign of auld age (sorry Dave). One criticism that I do accept is that the band doesn’t really interact with the audience at any point. Generally, I am in the school of thought that the band should play and sing their music as opposed to rant and rave about inane subjects that they feel obliged to cast their opinion on. That said front men such as, Dave Grohl and, Jack White effectively engage with their audiences and it doesn’t take anything away from the music.

Anyway, on to the gig itself for which I will review the highlights as opposed to the entire set (which I have done death in previous reviews).

The band appeared to the smoky and bass driven sound of, ‘Haunting At 1300 McKinley’. The tune from current album, ‘Phosphene Dream’ is a fine choice as the opening song. It sets the tone pretty well for the gig that is to follow. ‘The Sniper’ next. It’s certainly one of my favourite songs from the band. It’s bluesy as hell…just the way I like. The guitar riff flowing throughout is catchy and the vocals from, Maas fit like a glove. ‘Better Off Alone’ starts with the distinctive front man, dawning his usual flat cap and beard, announcing “I feel so low”. This song needs two drummers when performed live as Maas hits his peak.

By the time the band reached close to midpoint of the show, the ‘Angels’ were on fire. ‘Black Grease’ is as bluesy and dirty as one can get. Bass player, Christian Bland is in his element on songs such as these. Meanwhile, Maas is almost caressing his mic with his lifts as he launches the “KILL, KILL, KILL” lyrics. ‘River Of Blood’ that followed was intense and rocking. ‘The Black Angels’ often put me in mind of, ‘The Doors’. None more so than on this track.

I previously listed, ‘The Sniper’ as a firm favourite, nothing beats, ‘Young Men Dead’ for me. This is an epic, ‘Black Angels’ tune. Crashing drums, filthy bass, wonderful lyrics and well addressed vocals. It’s sublime. The screen behind the band caught my attention on this track with a scantily clad (perhaps naked) young woman appearing in the background. This is dark stuff and I like it. Maybe the gin was taking its toll by this point, but by the time the band got to, ‘You On The Run’, I was absorbed by the backing screen. This was freaky stuff. Maybe a reference to the time of year, but it was horror movie scene in the background…something not far from, ‘The Shining’.  The song itself with a monotone and consistent riff behind it was well received by a captured audience.

The ‘Angels’ finished off their loud and proud show with, ‘Bloodhounds On My Trail’, ‘Melanie's Melody’ (performed solo by, Maas) and ‘True Believers’. We left with our ears ringing and my heart was certainly content as it always is when listening to and seeing this band perform. Over the past nine months, they have captured me like no other. Their sound simply ticks all the boxes for me and I literally can’t wait until the next time they visit the Big Apple. It can’t come soon enough. The Elgin boys will probably object, but this is following the high rating trend for, ‘The Black Angels’. Rating: 9/10

As an end note: To wrap up the evening, we continued our drinking binge by closing out a Brooklyn bar in the wee, small hours. We stumbled out on to the street and were unsuccessful in our plight to hail a cab, so we trudged on to the nearest Subway station. En route, I spotted an, Alex Maas lookalike and blurted out, “You’re Black Angles”. Although I don’t remember the full conversation, I was delighted when he stopped to chat. I do recall that he was very humble following my drunken articulation of undying love for him and his band’s music since seeing them at SXSW. He was most grateful and said that they were scheduled to play in both Glasgow and Edinburgh next year. Scottish brethren, I will keep you in the loop.


Set List:

Haunting At 1300 McKinley
The Sniper
Better Off Alone
Telephone
Empire
Yellow Elevator
Black Grease
River of Blood
Bad Vibrations
Young Men Dead
Entrance Song
You On The Run
Phosphene Dream
Bloodhounds On My Trail
Melanie's Melody - Solo Maas
True Believers

I have a feeling they also played, ‘The Prodigal Sun’ and ‘Science Killer’, but in my Tanqueray induced state, I can’t be sure.

1 comment:

  1. "I opted to ‘go on the Gin’ for the evening"

    ReplyDelete