COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

March 24, 2011

Jack White and his Yellow Truck


A publicity stunt? A one man pledge to "bring vinyl back"? Just a hardcore rock 'n' roll star having a bit of fun? I don't exactly know what the point of Jack White and his Yellow Truck is (the idea fronted by the record company he created a couple of years ago, 'Third Man Records'). Feel free to express your own views in the comments box below. 

Don't get me wrong, I herald Jack White as one of the most important rock stars of the modern era. I have been blown away several times by his live performances with The White Stripes, The Raconteurs and The Dead Weather (not to mention recent film offerings, 'It Might Get Loud' and 'Under Great White Northern Lights'), but this rolling record store concept has me a little miffed. A great idea for those urban dwellers who perhaps never get the chance to go and spend hours sifting through vinyl at record stores, but how long did the mobile library last? Whether we like it or not, music has moved on to digital. I myself grappled with this fact until a year ago. Now, against my will and moral fibre, it's iTunes all the way. Despite the lesser sound quality and having no artwork or cover, the download method is more convenient, cheaper and doesn't take up any space in the household. 

It irked me somewhat that Jack White didn't give the public what the public so desperately wanted in Austin at SXSW, a real on stage performance by either himself as a solo artist or joining one of his music fraternity e.g. Josh Homme (QOTSA), Alison Mosshart (The Kills) etc. For even more drama, why not follow the lead of Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters and turn up unannounced at one of the city's finest venues?

In something of a contradiction, White instead turned to the digital age, Tweeting followers the destination of his 'Yellow Truck' 20 minutes prior to performances by himself and some of his labels artists. All a little bizarre for me, but rock stars will be rock stars.


1 comment:

  1. If there is one thing you can count on Jack White for, it is marching to the beat of his own drummer. I think the idea of a rolling store is a little goofy too but I do like the attention to the physical aspect of music, the artwork, liner notes, etc. Whether CD or vinyl. This is why I will never buy a kindle....

    ReplyDelete