COMING SOON

WEEKLY UPDATES (with some special editions in between)

***COMING SOON***


***ALBUM REVIEWS JAKE BUGG, XX, ALT-J, TAME IMPALA AND MORE***GENERAL MUSIC NEWS

March 30, 2011

LCD Soundsystem - The End?

LCD Soundsystem have stated their intentions to hang up their mics and instruments following their farewell shows in what they declared would be the “best funeral ever” in hometown, New York this week (four ‘warm up’ shows at Terminal 5 and the penultimate show at The Garden on April 2nd). The announcement transmitted via the bands website that they were “retiring from the game. Gettin’ out. Movin’ on” in early February of this year stunned avid followers. 

Front man and co-founder of DFA records, James Murphy is hugely talented playing the bulk of the instrumental pieces on LCD’s albums himself is clearly a hugely gifted musician, so why the sudden impasse following just three album releases? Perhaps it’s similar dislike for the lifestyle, recognition and fame that Kurt Cobain (among others) have suffered. His general frustrations and perhaps dismay at the industry were enhanced with a public rant at ticket exchange website, StubHub who were selling tickets for the MSG finale at inflated prices before they went on general sale (like that has never happened before). Murphy vented, "no matter what we do, it is not worth that kind of money to see us. I pretty much guarantee 'fans' aren't pricing these tickets." Referring to the website as "barely legal", he added that the website chiefs could "eat $h!t". 


I would not proclaim to being a huge fan of LCD Soundsystem, but friends and fellow music lovers at large hold them in high regard so I felt I had to put some words to their final act. They are difficult to pin down in terms of a genre. Dance/punk/funk/rock/trance/house/techno would probably cover it. In my more formative years, I enjoy techno and house music before maturing somewhat in the direction of more soulful/indie rock ‘n roll overtures. That said, I am still partial to bands that mix it up a little such as - Daft Punk, Muse, Phoenix, TV on the Radio, Passion Pit and the likes. LCD Soundsystem just never really grabbed my attention.  I really, really like the sound of ‘Someone Great’ from second album ‘Sound of Silver’. Bone chilling beats and rhythms that I truly appreciate. Along the same vein, but not nearly as good in my humble opinion, ‘Daft Punk is playing at my House’ and ‘Great Release’ from their first, self titled album and ‘Get Innocuous’ also from ‘Sound of Silver’ are a very likable tunes.  From their most recent and potentially last album, ‘This is Happening’, ‘Oh You (Christmas Blues)’ with its Pink Floyd kind of bass jam and the darker, but chilled out, ‘Throw’ are also fantastic songs. All told, six decent songs from three albums are not good enough in my book.

By all accounts, the ‘warm up’ shows at Terminal 5 are amazing. Songs that you will want to “dance your ar$e off too”, packed with all the hits. The Madison Square Garden farewell will be one of those happy yet emotional spectacles…the ‘This is it’ in MJ talk. There is however a glimmer of hope for LCD fans. Maybe we have not heard the last words from the band following suggestions that they may continue to record music in some capacity. "We'll still be making LCD Soundsystem music and stuff; we just need to go back and have it be a part of our lives rather than our whole lives”.


Goodbye and good luck LCD Soundsystem. I won’t miss you too much, but many will.





4 comments:

  1. "...maturing somewhat in the direction of more soulful/indie rock ‘n roll overtures."

    So Techno/House are immature? or am I just being rubbed up the wrong way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Techno/House are by no means immature and I'm sorry that you read it that way.

    It was more of a reference to myself in that I have grown too old to appreciate that genre as much as I once did. The fact that I don't go clubbing anymore the key reason in this.

    It will soon be pipe and slippers for me and, God forbid, Country music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HaHa - No worries. My apologies as I was probably being precious.
    Don't go clubbing much myself anymore - but I still defend it.

    As an aside - On the topic of the 'Beady Eye' album I was listening to an err, "pre release" shall we say. Put it on random and two tracks in thought christ Liam what a rip off. That sounds like that song Sons Of The Stage. Err - ok it's not a rip off; its a cover version! Teach me to not be so pre-judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defending the music you love is commendable...I have no problem with that whatsoever.

    I like the Beady Eye/World of Twist story. On that, I think Liam does a cracking job with it. Not a bad cover at all.

    ReplyDelete